15th Annual NT Chronic Disease Conference
Issue: Vol 12 No 1, January 2012 – March 2012
Related to Cancer Cardiovascular health Diabetes Social and emotional wellbeing
The 15th Annual Chronic Diseases Network Conference, Out of the shadows, into the spotlight; chronic diseases – mental health was held 8-9 September 2011 at the Darwin Convention Centre.
The conference theme focused on the relationships between mental health and chronic conditions. Mental ill health can be a chronic condition in itself and many physical chronic conditions are closely linked to mental health conditions. The conference was well attended, attracting 252 people.
There were four keynote presentations by:
- Fay Jackson – Director of Vision in Mind
- Dr Tom Calma – National Coordinator for Tackling Indigenous Smoking
- Professor David Clarke – Clinical Director of Consultation – Liaison and Primary Care Psychiatry at Monash Medical Centre and Research Advisor to Beyondblue
- Associate Professor Tricia Nagel – Leader of Healing and Resilience Division at Menzies School of Health Research
There were 36 concurrent sessions and 7 interactive workshops. The conference covered: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander perspectives; policy and practice; mental health from various perspectives; and, health promotion approaches.
- Further information:
- Contact details:
- Chronic Diseases Network, PO Box 40596, Casuarina NT 0811, ph: (08) 88922 8280, fax: (08) 8985 8177, email: firstname.lastname@example.org